Like both Dan and Derik Evil from True Rivals (and that crazy fucker Franky Gogo back home) I am also a savage fan of pizza. However, I do not subscribe to the ‘pizza is pizza’ theory Derik spoke about on the show. Sauce is everything for me. A good sauce and great ingredients makes a good pizza. And, for the love of pie, don’t go all nuts with the fucking cheese. Moderation baby, moderation. My guts hate it, but my soul loves the idea of spicy sausage on my pie, and with Tums and Pepto in hand, I dive into a spoke of spicy sausage pizza every chance I get. You don’t catch the name Fats from eating fucking salads, do ya? – FATS
- 3 Italian hot sausages (about 12 ounces), casings removed
- 1 10-ounce purchased fully baked thin pizza crust
- 1 1/4 cups purchased refrigerated marinara sauce
- 1 1/4 cups grated mozzarella cheese (about 5 ounces)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives or other brine-cured black olives, halved
- 4 thin rounds green bell pepper, halved
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 425°F. Sauté sausage in large skillet over medium-high heat until just cooked through, breaking into 1/2-inch pieces with back of spoon, about 10 minutes. Drain off fat; set sausage aside.
Place pizza crust on rimless baking sheet. Leaving 3/4-inch plain border, spread 1 cup sauce over crust. Top with 3/4 cup mozzarella, 3/4 of basil, sausage, 1/2 cup Gorgonzola, olives, 1/2 cup mozzarella, bell pepper and 1/2 cup Gorgonzola. Drizzle remaining 1/4 cup sauce over. Bake pizza until crust is crisp and topping is heated through, about 13 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining basil.